Just for Parents
Welcome to the Just for Parents area of our site. Here you will find helpful articles and videos on topics related to the challenges of raising children. These resources will help you better understand your child and how you can help them to succeed in life.
What is Positive Discipline?
Positive Discipline is a program designed to teach young people to become responsible, respectful and resourceful members of their communities. Based on the best selling Positive Discipline books by Dr. Jane Nelsen, Lynn Lott, Cheryl Erwin, Kate Ortolano, Mary Hughes, Mike Brock, Lisa Larson and others, it teaches important social and life skills in a manner that is deeply respectful and encouraging for both children and adults (including parents, teachers, childcare providers, youth workers, and others).
Recent research tells us that children are “hardwired” from birth to connect with others, and that children who feel a sense of connection to their community, family, and school are less likely to misbehave. To be successful, contributing members of their community, children must learn necessary social and life skills. Positive Discipline is based on the understanding that discipline must be taught and that discipline also teaches.
FIVE CRITERIA FOR EFFECTIVE DISCIPLINE
- Helps children feel a sense of connection. (Belonging and significance)
- Is mutually respectful and encouraging. (Kind and firm at the same time.)
- Is effective long - term. (Considers what the child is thinking, feeling, learning, and deciding about himself and his world – and what to do in the future to survive or to thrive.)
- Teaches important social and life skills. (Respect, concern for others, problem solving, and cooperation as well as the skills to contribute to the home, school or larger community.)
- Invites children to discover how capable they are. (Encourages the constructive use of personal power and autonomy.)
Resources for Parents :
- College Corner Site
- 17 Ways to Ease Back to School
- Advice about Getting Kids to Read
- Positive Discipline
- What Parents Can Do About Bullying
- What Parents MUST Know About Facebook
- 10 Things Teachers Want Parents To Know
- Guidelines for a Positive Parent-Teacher-Relationship